One of buildingctgreen.com’s partners, Cartridge World, announced earlier this month that in honor of Earth Day 2011 it launched the ‘Go Green! Win Green ’ Contest which will award $10,000 to the best consumer submitted green story. The public is encouraged to share how they have gone green in their home or office and the deadline to submit is April 30.
Cartridge World, based in Emeryville, CA and with 10 stores in Connecticut and Westchester County, NY, is the world leader in printer cartridge refilling and provides a simple green solution for businesses who want to save money. As easy as changing a light bulb, reusing printer cartridges helps reduce waste in landfills while it also saves money. On Earth Day, April 22, 2011, when people everywhere are considering what they can do to protect the environment, Cartridge World offers a simple, quality solution than can have a significant impact.
“We are excited about the ‘Go Green, Win Green contest,’ says Fricke. “It encourages consumers and businesses to get involved on Earth Day and to demonstrate how easy it can be to be environmentally responsible. By using Cartridge World products, consumers can do their part not just on Earth Day, but every day.”
The $10,000 cash giveaway allows for consumers to share knowledge and best practices on how they have gone green in their home or office; participants can enter at www.cartridgeworld.com/green. In an effort to increase environmental awareness Cartridge World will share the top ten greenest ideas submitted by participants on their Facebook fan page www.facebook.com/cartridgeworldnorthamerica.
“Each year, more than 350 million cartridges are discarded into our country‟s landfills,” says Tom Fricke, Cartridge World’s chief executive officer. “Earth Day is the perfect time to remind everybody that there is a better way to replace your ink and toner. Most printer cartridges can be refilled or remanufactured. Using Cartridge World products for ink and toner replacement not only helps the environment, but it can be substantially more affordable when compared to the cost of buying a new cartridge.”
Consider these cartridge-related facts:
- The number of cartridges discarded in North American landfills each year increases by 12 percent annually
- An average of 8 cartridges per second are thrown away in the United States.
- It takes about a gallon of oil to make a new laser cartridge.
- A laser cartridge thrown into landfill can take up to 450 years to decompose. Some components made of industrial grade plastics will take over a thousand years to decompose.
- Every remanufactured laser cartridge saves nearly 2.5 pounds of metal and plastic waste from being deposited in landfills.
- 70 percent of used printer cartridges throughout the world are currently being thrown out.
- In one year, if the world’s discarded cartridges were stacked end-to-end; they would circle the earth over three times.
Businesses can do their part to save the planet without risking quality, because Cartridge World products are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee. “Our quality guarantee means our customers are able to feel good about doing their part for the environment and they can do it conveniently,” says Fricke, “because most of our stores offer free pick-up and delivery. Cartridge World is committed to providing value, quality, and convenience.”
I’m sure there’s a few good stories out there that are worthy of submission so don’t delay; get that story in and possibly win $10,000.